Tuesday, August 8, 2023

android usage - usb-tether

Suppose a person wants to cord-cut and obtain their internet access entirely from a tethered phone. Some of other posts have explained the configuration, but what about the data-plan? This is made somewhat inscrutable by the provider, so that a person tends toward ordering a larger plan. Let's look at the T-Mobile case.

somewhat mysterious

This is the information from the website. How much data do I use every month. At mid cycle am I at 22.28G usage, 25.08G usage, or 47.36G usage?

An hour on the 611 line with T-Mobile: the larger number, 25.08G, includes both hotspot and "voice" usage, this is my total number mid-cycle. T-Mobile uses "voice" to mean data they provide that is untethered. So "voice" isn't actually voice, it is eg., usage when driving around looking up the nearest gas station on one's phone. The 22.28G is the tethered "hotspot" usage: tethered to a laptop, a vehicle's Android connection, etc, and is the largest portion of the entire 25.08G. The untethered "voice" usage is 3.2G, the difference between the two larger numbers.

inflated values

Based on this, we can see I send about 3000 MMS/SMS a month, which would be about 100 per day. This is an overstated amount. I probably send about 25 texts per day. Similarly, they have me at about 1000 minutes of phone a month (33 mins daily) another overstatement, though not as grossly made.

But it's data that really matters to a cord cutter, b/c this is never unlimited. If my plan includes "40G hotspot", and I know I never use wifi, I just use tethering, then what is the 22.28G I have used? Is it part of the overall 25.08G used?

options online

The way we view it is important to our plan. It appears we need but how much more? Our bill will be roughly $115 per month if we cut the cord and need 100GB, or $90 per month if we can cut the cord and only need 50GB per month. But roughly, we can say to cut the cord, our costs are $100 per month phone and internet. For the gov't to track us.

No comments: