Friday, September 5, 2008

Slackware 12.0 - Wine Install

It appears Slackware doesn't include Wine. In early September of 2008, there was a dedicated Wine package available for Slack 10.1 here, but this package made for 10.1, may not have worked with the 2.6.21.5 kernel in Slack 12.0. I thought it best to go with source and compile. The latest Wine package download info is typically found at this portion of the WineHq site. I selected the latest release, which was Wine 1.1.4 in early September 2008.

dependencies

Dependencies are supposed to be the bane of installing Wine. I was unable to locate a dependency list at the WineHQ site to preempt vigilance with configure. Nevertheless, it seemed it would be easy to watch configure, note misses, download and install them, and then re-run configure. It seemed that easy.

I untarred the package and proceeded to the first run of configure, Several apparent problems which didn't appear to be dependency problems displayed as configure scrolled its checks. These scrolling messages seemed to indicate various audio features were unavailable. Here's a few of hundreds that appeared:
checking machine/soundcard.h usability... no
checking machine/soundcard.h presence... no
checking for machine/soundcard.h... no
When configure finished its run, it also provided a message which may have been dependency related:
configure: libcapi20 development files not found, ISDN will not be supported.

Additionally, I looked in /include/config.h to check further for missing dependencies. All told, I didn't think I'd need the audio stuff that was scrolling or the ISDN support the message indicated, so I went to the remaining standard installation steps:
$ ./configure
$ make depend
$ make
# make install
These steps seemed to go well, though in the back of my mind I was a feeling my dependency laziness might bite me later.

configuration


After installation, I began with $ winecfg and received another apparent error message:
$ winecfg
wine: created the configuration directory '/home/doofus/.wine'
Could not load Mozilla. HTML rendering will be disabled.
wine: configuration in '/home/doofus/.wine' has been updated.
Not sure what this meant either, but I kept going, unzipping and installing a Windows gradekeeper program. It started without any problems. So far, so good, though I may yet find that these HTML and audio messages provide some limitations.

No comments: